Sunday 13 July 2008

My First Experience with Truth

30 August 2021

Justice Chandrachud of the Supreme Court of India says that Citizens can't depend on governments alone on truth. He said truth faces a tough time with the proliferation of social media which exacerbates the circulation of fake news. "It is undeniable that the phenomenon of fake news is on the rise. A pertinent example of this is that the WHO recently termed the current Covid-19 pandemic as also being an infodemic, due to the overabundance of misinformation online. However, Scholars have also noted that fake news or false information is not a new phenomenon, having been in existence for as long as print media has existed. But the rapid advancement in technology and the spread of internet access has definitely exacerbated this problem." 

Does it not prove my point which I wrote in 1968 around 53 years before? In other words, it also proves that truth is what victors write and explain to the next generations. We all need rethinking about truth and truth commission. 


8 January 1968
 Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh (1965-69 Tutorial batch - with Prof Ghumman)
It was the 8th of January 1968. I was in my third year of Mechanical Engineering at Punjab Engineering College Chandigarh, Punjab University. During that time India was producing more engineers. Doctors, Engineers, and Lawyers were considered leaders of the society. These jobs were well paid. Due to certain reasons, there was more supply of engineering graduates than the demand of engineering graduates. In Industry engineering jobs were occupied by diploma holders or sometimes even by good fitters who may be in high school and are able to read some engineering books. Boilers were not produced in India. So there was unemployment amongst engineers. Some leaders came from Punjab University and wanted to do strike and wanted to submit a charter of demands to the Commissioner of Chandigarh. one can call him administrative head of Government. I took an active part in this. 
I knew that I have a connection with Mohan Meakin and I shall get a job. So this matched with my aim to serve others. As this may not spoil my carrier. Normally taking part in the strike can jeopardize your carrier. Professor can write in character certificate. So one may not get a job. But I was sure about my job. So I took an active part and discussed with all the students to take part in the demonstration and help each other. 

The working committee decided to do a peaceful demonstration. I was active. We all went to D.C. office sector 17, Chandigarh. Students were sitting peacefully. I was very near to D.C. Before I realized it, D.C. ordered for Lathi Charge (order to beat demonstrators with sticks). I was standing with him. I argued. I told them that all were peaceful. Why did you order for Lathi Charge? I was arguing with him when some police person hit on my buttocks with a stick. I was arrested by Police. Police took some boys who were standing nearby me. We all were taken to Police Station. As Police lathi-charged, a mob ran in all directions. Later on, we came to know that the mob burnt buses and I do not know what more.

 We were kept in Hawalat for 36 hours. We were produced in court and were taken to Ambala jail. I was surprised, how all these charges were levied against me? I was peaceful and was standing with D.C. How can criminal cases be levied against me? But it was fact and I took time to understand that what one sees or reads in Newspaper may not be correct. People can write what suits them. Truth is always a causality in public life. There was still the influence of leaders who fought for freedom. But as time passed I realized that ideals of service to humanity are only good on paper. Some selfish people are exploiting these emotions for their personal gains. I was nowhere near to these politicians. So I failed miserably. 

Leaders were talking something else and practicing something else. This was hard fact of life. I also understood later on that selfish people were more successful than saintly people. Truth is powerful. But Truth can never give you money. Without Power Politics, one can not succeed. So I failed. I failed miserably. 

I concluded then nothing is in my hand. We are only puppets in the hand of destiny. The administration is different. Administrators are also servants to politicians. One can lead a political party if one is selfish. Politics also needs money. So Theory is blind without practice. Practice is sterile without theory. Anyhow, later on, all the cases were withdrawn by Administration at the request of the principal of the engineering college.


No comments: